Here's a little Gods and Icons preview from Connor Marvin. This and other Unhallowed Places will include sections on using them for both roleplaying and combat settings.
A secluded mountain lake, referred to by locals as “Ghost Lake” due to the number of disappearances, strange lights, and terrifying stories surrounding it, is a day’s hike through rocky mountain terrain. On the surface it appears to be an ordinary lake. Under the lake, however, there is a sunken temple. A spell put on the temple long ago created an invisible bubble surrounding it. Fish still swim through this magic sphere, but once it is entered by air-breathing creatures they fall through to the temple's grounds and are able to breathe as normal.
The temple compound consists of one central building surrounded by statues. The columns of the central temple have spiraling patterns of snake scales carved in them, and the apex of the temple is surmounted by a stylized pinecone. The statues that surround the temple are carved snakes coiled around each-other into double-helixes, with stone bat-wings emerging from the snakes’ backs near the top. Strings of seaweed float from the lake floor as if in water, and sunlight filters from the surface of the lake forty feet above.
13 Rumors About Ghost Lake
- Hell fighter Lord Ikal periodically visits Ghost Lake, and each time, drops in a small, black box.
- Those who sleep in the temple enter the dreams of Aurum Rex, king of the metallic dragons.
- Dwarf King Thorbal's banished daughter, Princess Kori, hides in the temple. She’s been changed.
- A promise made in the temple must be kept, or one's very soul is forfeit.
- Visiting the temple ensures healthy children.
- A ghost dragon guards the lake.
- Infernals cannot enter the blue waters. Or leave them.
- If you swallow even a drop of the lake water, you will be inhabited by ghosts.
- Only the dead can leave the temple.
- Black cats surround the lake during full moons, hissing and spitting at the water.
- The waters heal broken bones.
- Baron Von Vorlatch the vampire necromancer, has cursed the lake.
- Dunking yourself in the lake cures all disorders of the mind.
Art by Sparrow Beurer